Keep em Safe!
After an all too recent trip last month to the emergency vet clinic for my dog Bella, I thought it would be a good idea to share what I learned.
Seems there are a bunch of things toxic to both our dogs and cats and many of them are in the kitchen right now.
If your pet is exposed to something and you’re in doubt, here is who to call: 1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435)
Macadamia nuts are highly toxic. This alone sent us to the vet late night as I realized she was paralyzed from the waist down and couldn’t breath well. One expensive vet bill later, we were home with two days of recovery time ahead of us.
Raisins and Grapes. Your dog or cat can die rather quickly from these two, get to a vet. These contain an ingredient that will shut down their kidneys almost immediately.
Chocolate. The severity depends on the amount and size, but get to a vet if your pet has any gastric distress. It’s the uncontrollable runs that will kill your sweetie.
Xylitol. Yep, we’re talking sugar-free gum or most anything sugar-free candy wise. If you’re like me, you always have gum in your bag and the first thing I do when I arrive home is toss my bag near the front door. Our lovely sniffers will find gum and candy fairly quick and this can kill them just as quickly.
Onions and Garlic. Don’t feed them these veggies….they contain toxic thiosulfate which cause your pets red blood cells to burst in their bodies. Remember this with table scraps and don’t risk it.
Veggies containing oxalates which mess with their digestive, nervous and urinary systems. These include : Potatoes, Tomatoes, Rhubarb, and Broccoli
Coffee, tea and soft drinks are toxic due to caffeine.
Nutmeg is toxic
All parts of Avocados are toxic. his surprised me because I’ve fed my dog and cat Avoderm brand which boasts avocado oil.
Beer or alcohol of any kind can cause death almost immediately via coma
Mushrooms are toxic to animals.
I hope this helps to keep your fuzzy faced loved ones safe and happy!